8%
 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 36

AuthorMessage
Poker
La Araña Discoteca
La Araña Discoteca

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:08 pm

By the way, you guys can click the hell out of those and it wouldn't make me feel bad at all. Wink

That is the same code on each site, but it populates different ads, based on content to make it more appealing for someone to click it because it would contain something related.

It's really quite neat. I'm curious what we would get for ads on a mafia and general chat forum?

oh and on the http://yourproofreader.webs.com/ site, I only own the left hand side banner. The top banner belongs to the host. They provide the site for free that way.

Webs is actually a decent free website host. Back end is fairly easy to use and modify.

Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:15 pm

If the ads here vanish, I think the rest would be pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
Emlyn
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Poker wrote:
The top banner belongs to the host.

Am I an idiot for not seeing the one you're talking about?

I clicked on yours, though, should be a few extra fractions of a penny coming your way.
Back to top Go down
Poker
La Araña Discoteca
La Araña Discoteca

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Emlyn wrote:
Poker wrote:
The top banner belongs to the host.

Am I an idiot for not seeing the one you're talking about?

I clicked on yours, though, should be a few extra fractions of a penny coming your way.

You're right (and not an idiot). It's gone on the http://yourproofreader.webs.com . Wonder why that is? I never noticed that it was gone. Wonder how long I've been top banner free? lol

It really doesn't get much attention from my wife (or I). She is working on another novel now though, so I guess she hasn't really felt like it.

Also, thanks for the clicks. Appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Gargoyle Geek
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 pm

jon_bad. wrote:
So...I'm bumping into some issues trying to secure hosting and a domain name for this site.

I can use Forumotion to purchase a domain and they will continue hosting it on the new name. That's fine, but they seem to be a little on the expensive side comparatively and I just don't know exactly what they would offer in terms of support and benefits (apart from being able to keep everything we've posted here so far).

Or...we can look at a whole new web host and domain name, with the unlikelihood of being able to 'port anything here to there. The problem there is that it becomes more complicated to actualize and I'm not sure we'd end up with the same kind of product we have now (which, I know it's a little old and rickety, but I really like this format).

weeba or someone else can probably explain better, but this is what I'm bumping into as far as my search has taken me.

If anyone has any viable input, let me know.

I did some checking on this two or three days ago and from what I read you can't take the database and move it somewhere else. From a business standpoint that makes sense but for us, as the users, it kind of sucks. It does force the issue though, if we are going to move we should do it soon.

I'll freely offer up free hosting space, if you want it. My host allows me to take a domain name and route it to an area totally separated from the rest of the site. phpBB (the forum this site is based on) is one of the install options we can pick. I suspect they've juiced up the forums a bit but I think the experience would be essentially the same. More importantly we would be in control of the database and could move it to anther server in the future.

I'll be happy to set it up. You guys can play around with it and see if it's what you want. It's pretty painless to do.

The thing that you'll have to decide is if I'm the guy you want ultimately holding the keys -- which I suspect is at least part of your trepidation. You can be the boss, I'm glad to help out but I don't really want the job. But no one really knows me here so there's no way to know hat would happen if I got a little pissy (or just got pissed drunk and decided to be funny). I'll always need a web site so I have no intentions of shutting it down anytime in the future.

If Weeba (or anyone else) has something similar to offer, maybe that's the way to go. Obviously he's much more well known than I am.

Blah, blah, blah. Sorry about the long post. The offer's out there, I'd love to do it.

Back to top Go down
Poker
La Araña Discoteca
La Araña Discoteca

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:26 am

Since my links are being clicked, primarily from here in the last 12 hours (Thank You Everyone), I thought I would just give you an idea of what those clicks were worth so you can have a little info.

Of course this is just a small sampling and the clicks can be worth as little as 2 cents or $2, but last evening from here and potentially other sources, I received 22 clicks. That totaled just under $10.

The revenue stream would work and easily provide enough income to recoup your set-up costs and ongoing hosting/renewal fees. The person holding the Google Ad account must not ever click their own links, but even 22 clicks a day provides a very decent level of income.

The Google Ads approval process is a bit of a pain, but if you go that route, let me know and I'll try to help.
Back to top Go down
Moses
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:17 am

Where is weeba? I think he knows this stuff well. Make him pay attention.
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:44 am

Moses wrote:

It sounds like weeba and GG are basically making the same offer. Free hosting if we score the domain, which is easy.
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:22 am

Poll Added
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:57 am

If you have alternate suggestions for the poll, tell me and I'll add them.
Back to top Go down
kelly
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:59 am

mafiaishere
hereismafia
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:03 am

Done.

Vote can be cancelled.
Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:06 am

jon_bad. wrote:
Moses wrote:

It sounds like weeba and GG are basically making the same offer. Free hosting if we score the domain, which is easy.

I'm here. Jon and I we're PMing about this earlier. I've got plenty of server space, and can get a phpbb board setup in minutes.
Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:10 am

GG- are you using dreamhost? That sounds like the exact offer I was making to jonbad.

For reference, I set up www.ladanday.com/testboard yesterday in about 2 minutes. It's running on a newer version of pbpbb than this site is.
Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:12 am

Oh yeah; if we go to personal hosting, I don"t think we should be running ads. A domain costs like $8 a year, and the hosting is essentially free (I pay 120 a year, but I'm hosting a few sites for friends at $25 a year, so I'm basically only paying 70 a year for my hosting, which I'm more than fine with)
Back to top Go down
kelly
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:12 am

wha

t
Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 am

What what?
Back to top Go down
Celtic
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:20 am

Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am

Space wise, this is another forum I run. It's only like 75mb for 48k posts.

Number of posts: 48228
Number of topics: 1333
Number of attachments: 28
Board started: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:29 am
Database size: 76.43 MIB
Back to top Go down
Poker
La Araña Discoteca
La Araña Discoteca

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am

I only suggested it as a way for the board itself to be self-sufficient, is all.

We don't need a wild amount of ads, just one skinny banner or small side bar ad. Nothing obscene and large or flashy. It could generate more than enough with our own clicks to pay for hosting and domain right here without the need to move or lose/transport any data.

I keep my ad choice selections clean and neat so it doesn't distract from our business' pages. No flash bangs. Just take a look at them. Some of them change when you change pages and they are all a simple layout.

Mine are a bit larger so as to stand out a bit and perhaps get clicked, but we can make them a third of the size of the ones I currently use.

Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:26 am

Honestly, using adblock, I don't see any ads on this forum.
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 am

I do agree with weeba. Buying a domain is cheap and if we use either his or GG's server space, then the cost is virtually nil and there's no reason to generate revenue.

I'm just concerned that, even if there's no malicious intent, either weeba or GG may decide they're bored here and not want to be tied to the place. And I can understand that. So, I'd hate for either of them to feel obligated to take care of us. If we choose a server farm elsewhere, then it's something that is independent of any users.
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am

We lost votes?
Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 am

Even if I left, I'm not malicious enough to kill hosting. based on the sites I host, I have no long term plans of changing (also host my wife's mothers company's site, so I can't go anywhere)
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:59 am

Shyka did some research and found this place shouldn't collapse in on us any time soon. So...that options still seems to be pretty viable for now.
Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Good with that too.

Back to top Go down
Gargoyle Geek
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 pm

weeba wrote:
GG- are you using dreamhost? That sounds like the exact offer I was making to jonbad.

For reference, I set up www.ladanday.com/testboard yesterday in about 2 minutes. It's running on a newer version of pbpbb than this site is.

No, it's a host called Dot5hosting. I've used them for years. Originally I started using them because they were super cheap. They've added tons of features over the years so I just stuck with them.
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 pm

And I won't lie. Secretly...I want to find a host of my own because I bought a personal domain earlier this year and have no idea who to use. This mission is two-fold.
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:11 pm

The 'Stache and the Gathering Hole seem to be battling it out.

Who will come out on top?
Back to top Go down
Gargoyle Geek
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 pm

jon_bad. wrote:
I do agree with weeba. Buying a domain is cheap and if we use either his or GG's server space, then the cost is virtually nil and there's no reason to generate revenue.

I'm just concerned that, even if there's no malicious intent, either weeba or GG may decide they're bored here and not want to be tied to the place. And I can understand that. So, I'd hate for either of them to feel obligated to take care of us. If we choose a server farm elsewhere, then it's something that is independent of any users.

If might not be a bad idea to start using either of the free options. If you are the board admin you'll be able to backup the database and store it locally. Even if the worst were to happen you would always be safe. If the worse didn't happen but you wanted to move somewhere else, for whatever reason, you'd be in control of the database and have the option of moving. As far as I can tell, you don't have the option now.

Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 pm

jon_bad. wrote:
And I won't lie. Secretly...I want to find a host of my own because I bought a personal domain earlier this year and have no idea who to use. This mission is two-fold.

If you want dreamhost, I can give you a promo code to use for $ off
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm thinking about finding one that I can install drupal on. Is drupal a good CMS? It's free, right?
Back to top Go down
Gargoyle Geek
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Jon, you couldn't handle Drupal.
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Gargoyle Geek wrote:

Like...really? Even for a personal/business website?
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Joomla?
Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:20 pm

I just want something more dynamic and less gross than Wordpress.
Back to top Go down
kelly
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:20 pm

jon_bad. wrote:
less gross than Wordpress.

woooooooooooooooooooord
Back to top Go down
Gargoyle Geek
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Had I known you guys were already talking about this I would have kept my mouth shut. The last thing I want to do is complicate things. I guess I should have PM'd instead of posting it openly.

I'd say take Weeba up on his offer. Unless you are going to buy your own hosting. Then, none of this matters.

Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 pm

I like complications, GG. It's a challenge!
Back to top Go down
Gargoyle Geek
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:23 pm

jon_bad. wrote:
Gargoyle Geek wrote:

Like...really? Even for a personal/business website?

I was just kidding. You always imply that you are NOT very technical. I'm sure you could handle it.

Personally I like Joomla better, but that's just me.

ETA: Added NOT
Back to top Go down
weeba
Papas frías

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Available one click installs on dreamhost

Back to top Go down
bad_jon.
Gamemaker

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:28 pm

You guys are wizards.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should we call this place?   

Back to top Go down

What should we call this place?
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The 74th Annual Hunger Games :: The Board :: The Gathering Hole-
Jump to: